Saturday, May 06, 2006

Some blurbs.

Hey I was surfing around and caught a few blurbs that I want to post about the first is from Brian Farrell, president and CEO of THQ. He was talking about a Spongebob game of all things but had this to say about the Wii. "One of the things we like about that platform is the development costs…on the Wii are nowhere near what they are on the PS3 and Xbox 360. That’s something that’s quite encouraging...[The Wii] wasn’t a whole new programming environment. So we had a lot of tools and tech that work in that environment. So those costs–and again, I hate these broad generalizations–but they could be as little as a third of the high-end next-gen titles… Maybe the range is a quarter to a half. "

Of course this is what Nintendo has been saying from the get go but it is very good to hear it from someone who is unnafiliated and hence, unbiased. One of the things I love about Nintendo is that they don't blow a bunch of smoke around. Either you agree with them, or you don't, but they don't exagerrate about what their hardware can do, in fact, they usually underestimate their hardware from a 'power' standpoint. Alot of people thought that the Gamecube would be underpowered when compared to the current gen but they were surprised when quite a few Gamecube titles ended up looking better than Xbox and PS2 titles.

The second comment I wanted to post really made me think about MY reactions to some of the announcements Nintendo has made recently. Here is Greg Szemiot, Director of Crossbeam Studios Entertainment. "Just like everything else Wii related, the name caught me off guard, and I think I had the same initial reaction as everyone else. When the controller was shown, a slight sinking feeling. when the specs were shown, a slight sinking feeling. when the name was revealed, a slight sinking feeling. So why am I supporting Wii after all those sinking feelings? Becasue that only lasts until we understand the reasoning behind it" I realised that I had gone through ALL those same feelings. When I saw the controller I was thinking "WHAT?" I mean, Nintendo had told us time and again that they wanted something simpler than today's norm, but nothing could really prepare me. By the end of Iwata's speech however, I was VERY excited about the new controller and it's possibilities. The quotes here and there about the power of the Wii was also sort of disheartening, and I don't even place much stock in graphical power. But as I came to understand the reasoning behind WHY it was underpowered I quickly came to not only accept this reasoning, but to agree with it wholeheartedly.

I think about how I feel about the name "Wii". When I first heard about it, it was through the little video that Nintendo released. I wasn't thinking 'that sounds like wee' I was thinking how strange it was. It took getting around the internet and hearing the opinions of others that really got me thinking that it was a bad move. It wasn't a bad move because of the way I feel about it but rather because I was wondering how many kids will never talk about Wii or get one because other kids make fun of it. That and the fact that I would have named it something different makes me dislike the name.

On the other hand, all Nintendo needs to do to get over this is be perfect. If they can show us all why their console is the best without peer and gamers will flock to it, because gamers want to play games, and they want to have fun. Maybe when we understand the reasoning behind the name we will accept it, and perhaps agree with it too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accepting the name for others might be a long time in coming. I agree that anyone who openly says "I play the wii" is going to take a lot of flack. Which isn't very fair. I know Nintendo has a vision but maybe just maybe they could adjust it a little to be less jarring to the rest of us who want Nintendo to SUCCEDE this round!!!

May 07, 2006 1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had a thought couldn't they have left the name as "revolution" and gone with wii as the console logo???? I don't know call me crazy but both embody what nintendo wants to do.

May 07, 2006 1:37 AM  
Blogger Benjdude said...

I think the name "Wii" will grow on us. I didn't like it myself and would name it something else. In fact Nintendo said that one of the criteria for the name was something short enough that it wouldn't be abbreviated. I think I would have used the word "Us" the Nintendo Us. It's still quirky, it's still short, it embodies all the same thematic elements and yet it can't be taken out of context.

May 16, 2006 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog about mitsubishi rear projection television found it very informative. I found a good website which also features mitsubishi rear projection television and mitsubishi rear projection television. The link is great for **uk bargains** including Nintendo Wii, PS2, PS3, games consoles and features famous online stores inc Argos, Marks and Spencer, Empire Direct, LX Direct, Tesco, Next. There is also a chance to play online bingo and try your luck at the online gambling sites available inc roulette, poker and fruit machines. I've also found another site for **free soccer links**. Hope you find these sites interesting - all the best!

February 11, 2007 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home